Friday, March 28, 2008

When To Start Golfing:


Our grand-daughter is going to be nine years old in April. Her Dad and Grandpa believe it's time she starts golfing. Therefore, she needs to have her own clubs for her birthday. Her grandpa began golfing at the age of seven years old. He raised four sons, three of whom learned to golf. The fourth one just played around without much interest. Therefore, he didn't have to develop his golfing skills like the others. One now is deceased. That leaves two brothers who grew up to be avid golfers, just like their father. Each son now has two daughters, the youngest one just recently added a newborn son to his family. Neil is the oldest, Scott is the one with the newborn. It's Neil who's daughter will be nine in April. Scott's daughter will be fourteen in April. Neil and Scott live about fifteen minutes from one another, managing to golf at least once a week together(sharing a golf cart once dear old dad's). They golf with other people also during the week. Therefore, it is not uncommon for them to go golfing at least three or more times per week during the golf season. My husband and his two sons would golf everyday if they could afford it and their wives would let them. I go golfing with them on occasion. I am not an avid golfer. Actually, I still call myself a beginner. Therefore, while they golf all eighteen holes, I only golf the front nine. I usually golf with other friends too on executive nine hole courses. Which is not what my husband likes to play.

Neil told his dad (my husband) that his daughter had gone golfing with him a few times already. Actually Kyla is a very active in different sports. She's played on the school soccer, basketball, and softball teams. She is a very tall girl for her age, therefore most children's beginner golf sets were going to be too short. Especially ones made for girls, since those made for females are always made shorter than their male counterparts. Scott's daughter Alex, who is going on fourteen, believes golf to be boring. However, she is into taekwondo and wrestling. Her Grandpa raised four sons. However, he realizes that with eight grand-daughters and four grandsons that he will have to make some concessions. Especially when the females out number the males (he is a very smart man, my husband).

I myself played miniature golf as a child, believing it was golf for children. Well, that was definitely the wrong idea, I had, according to my husband. It was not until the age of fourteen and a half years old that I picked up a "real" golf club. I found out how much more difficult the game of golf actually was than miniature golf. Addressing the ball and following it through were tough enough. Actually they still are for me today. I don't know if a child at the age of seven or nine is ready for the game of golf. As it is a game of patience. I have seen grown men cry or throw clubs due to impatience or a bad slice. Yes, we bought our grand-daughter the golf clubs and they are awaiting her birthday. After all, she says she likes going with her dad to the course and has hit a few times. However, his clubs were a bit long for her even though she is tall for her age. Every child and every situation, no matter the sport, should be judged on it's own merit. It is up to the parent's to determine at what age their child is ready to play the game called golf.

golf-terms

No comments: