Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Short Story: Brontophobia

Brontophobia

“I realize it Doctor Fredricksen, it’s ....it’s just that” Jenny paused taking in a deep breath before continuing on “I’ve been afraid of lightening ever since I was almost struck while next to the lighting pole when I was only seven.” It was so very scary to see the lighting zig zag down the pole....within just inches of my face” she finished in a quivery voice.

“Jenny, explain to me exactly what it is you do whenever there is a storm and your children are at home with you? Are you brave for them? Do you cower in front of them? Or do you go into your bedroom?” asked Dr. Fredricksen.

“I’ve heard that during a lightening storm you need to unplug appliances and t.v.’s. So first I go around doing that. Then I gather my children, I don’t allow them on the second story of the house, for fear of lightening striking there and starting a fire. Then we lie down on the living room floor, I have each one of them lie on each side of me. We lay there until it is over. And I keep the cordless phone handy in case I need to make a call to the fire department or someone.”

“Jenny, do you realize that you are setting your children up to fear lightening and thunder? Tell me what happens when your husband is at home? Does he allow such things to take place?”

“Oh no” Jenny sobs. Dr. Fredricksen hands her a Kleenex. She sobs for a few more minutes. Then takes in a gulp of air and proceeds after dabbing at her eyes. “He actually berates me. He refuses to let me unplug anything. He tells me everything is on a surge protector so the lightening or outages won’t hurt anything. Then he says if I want to hide to go into the bedroom. But he and the kids are going outside to enjoy the lightening. I beg him.” Jenny starts sobbing again for several minutes, gulps some air then continues on. “I beg him not to take them from me, but he does” her voice raspy now “All three of them get on the roof and watch the lightening. It terrifies me so much.” “Yet,” Jenny’s voice becomes a whisper “sometimes I wish I could be that brave.”

“Maybe you are no longer as afraid of the lightening as you think. Sounds like you want to protect your children. Whether or not a parent is always there bad things will happen to children. We can’t protect them always. Life happens as it is destined. We must continue to live. To live without fears and phobias controlling us, keeping us from enjoying life. You just told me you wished sometimes you could be with the three of them on the roof and watch the lightening. Why don’t you go next time?”

“Do you really think I’m cured enough that I could?” Jenny asked.

“Yes I do. Facing and realizing why we have a fear is the main root to overcoming a fear.” replied Dr. Fredricksen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So That's what it's called when you are afraid of Lightening. Good info in a short story, very short story. You leave us wanting more. That's always a good sign of a good writer in the making.