Friday, March 14, 2008

Baking Sugar Cookies:


The aroma of warm sugar cookies wafts through the house filling my nostrils. Soon they will be ready to take from the oven for my husband. I enjoy the pleasure of baking sugar cookies for him. I have a recipe that I dearly have no trouble with, it's a "drop sugar cookie" recipe. Therefore, there's no chilling or rolling nor cookie cutting required. I've added a little twist of my own over the years which to me makes the recipe all the better, and have been told over and over my cookies are great. My twist? Well, check it out below, see what's noted next to vanilla and then you'll know. It makes the sugar cookies tastier and lighter to the palate. I don't bake all year, only when the weather has a chill in the air. Therefore, in the warmer months my husband must do with baked goods from the store.

Recipe:

1/2 c butter
1 tsp. vanilla + 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 c shortening
2 1/2 c flour (not sifted)
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar gradually. Add unbeaten eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and lemon extracts, then add dry ingredients. Drop, by teaspoonful, unto greased cookie sheet. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Sprinkle additional sugar to your liking (optional). Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes (or less according to your oven's setting).

about 4-5 dozen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I baked these cookies and they were so good thanks for posting this recipe. Everyone should try it! My kids couldn't keep their hands off them. Carol.