Friday, April 11, 2008

Relationship Problems:

Now, you may even be considering whether he/she is really "the one" after all. This is a very natural response. When there may be doubts it should be weighed out. So here is a way to do just that;
Write down "twenty good qualities" of your partner/spouse. These qualities are ones you admire, like and respect about the person. They can range from "she's a good cook", "he's not abusive", "nice to my buddies", "my best friend", 'great father", "tells great jokes", "caring", "supportive financially", "dresses nicely", "helpful around the house"; you get the picture.

Now, "honestly" ask yourself when was the last time you thanked or complimented him/her about any of these qualities. Remember these are qualities you like/admire. Okay, maybe the person hasn't been doing them that often lately. Have things been more tense lately? Well, then it's very possible they don't feel at ease enough to be them self. Therefore, they aren't dong those qualities as often.

Before, you decide your relationship/marriage is over, Don't you believe you should give it another try to reconnect. Try by just complimenting/thanking your partner/spouse on things on your list. If they aren't really doing any of those listed items much right now. Then start with simple everyday things that do get done.

Before we married we hit a rough spot and I had my doubts. It wasn't difficult to make a list of twenty qualities I liked/admired about him. I still have that list. It's what inspired this article, as it sits on my desk. In case I get upset at him, I re-read it. I also began telling him thank-you for all the little things he'd do around the house. In addition to letting him know I admired him because he paid the bills on time. Which was one of my twenty qualities on my list about him. He asked why, the first three times, I told him I admired him about paying the bills on time. I answered him truthfully "because my ex never cared about whether the bills got paid."

You may feel it mundane to thank your spouse/partner for cooking the meal, taking out the trash, folding the laundry, doing the dishes, running to the store, or picking up a prescription. But it's not. People want to feel "appreciated", even for the little things. Relationships/marriages oftentimes fall into routines/ruts when one/both spouses take things for granted. Appreciation and admiration helps keep relationships from becoming taken for granted.

Give this a try for no less than sixty days. Then re-evaluate, I'm sure you'll see a difference. You may be the one partner/spouse who must initiate it. You may also not be too comfortable saying thank-you. However, remember you must be consistent and committed for the entire time. Eventually you will notice the other person will begin also. As you begin to notice more admiration and compliments coming your way too. Which will bring about a more harmonious and happier relationship. As you each will be feeling better about yourselves and reflecting that in your relationship to one another.

Also, you will learn what he/she actually admires about you. Which is what attracted him/her to you in the first place. Or maybe it's an admiration that's been cultured within your marriage/relationship. Either way you have a good foundation on which to continue to build. Keep up those thank-yous and compliments.

No comments: