Friday, January 11, 2019

Shattered ( an original story from me)



SHATTERED
Pamel Starr-Welsh
2,894 words

Susan was all excited that Ken was flying home after brokering a deal for nearly 4 weeks. Being a brokers wife for one year, she always knew he would be flying off like this but it seemed more lately. She put on some sexy silky blue lingerie and high heels to match and waited in the chair near the door for him.

The plane must have arrived late or he stopped off for flowers she thought. She remembered the first time Ken gave her a flower they were in a field of daisy's, in the third grade, walking home together as they lived side by side each other. She blushed as that was when she knew she would marry him Ken Barker. That night at dinner she blurted out she and Ken were going to get married and her daddy choked on his potatoes. It was funny.

Susan dozed off. She was back in her memories again. She was 11 then and Ken was thirteen. They sat on their favorite branch overseeing the daisy’s. It’s so pretty here isn’t it Ken? Do you think Heaven looks like this or better? Well, Ken said last one down gets to clean up the picnic basket and carry it home after we eat. That’s all I’m thinking of is food right now. I just hope Heaven has lots of it. He began climbing down his side as she climbed down hers her dress got caught and her arm was aching and Susan saw the blood and passed out. Well, Susan guess you better come and eat ---- Susan! Ken tried to get her arm out from between the branches with no luck. About then Billy rode up what’s wrong with Suzie? Get heel-help and ah-ah doc-tor I-I will let her sit on my sh-shoulder so it don’t get any any worse and and hur-hurry she isn’t an-an-answering to her name. Why why not not me G-God? Ww-Why
Su--Susan? I ppr-ray that you make her bet-better ple-please. I am go-going to ma-marry her som-someday. He thought if only he was strong like the good guys in the comics.

Her father, Daniel came running fast with his wagon. Whoa! Whoa! There now. He saw his little girl, his pretty precious child, pale and limp sitting on Ken’s shoulders with blood trickling down unto Ken. Ken looked into Daniel’s eyes and said it--it’s my fault sir I sug-suggested the last one down, car-carries the bas-basket b-back, when it’s really a m-man’s job to do it. Ken took I few deep breaths and let them out slowly. Son, you know how Susan is she will not back down and she would probably have suggested the same. She can be cantankerous and hard-headed like a mule like me and also sweet as cinnamon buns as her Mother. Susan has a destiny before her I haven’t seen in a gal before. You showed yourself a man today. Staying with her with all the varmints out and resting her on your shoulder so she wouldn’t pull it anymore. So, Ken I am very grateful for what you have done to help her no matter whose idea it was. So take a few deep breaths son and get a hold of yourself cuz yer pa’s coming now.

Otis Barker was nothing but a drunk since his wife Helen died of Scarlet Fever. He just couldn’t get over her death. He didn’t know how to show love like he knew Katey wanted. He sure the heck couldn’t show the girl needlepoint, which is why he was walking over to widow Pearson’s house, when he heard about his boy and his girl in an accident. So he turned to that direction.
Otis looked his son Ken up and down,he was tall,lean and had grown into a man, he had his Mother's Helen’s eyes and hair color. He had seen his son covered in blood and didn’t know if they were both hurt.Ya all right boy? Yeah Pa it’s all Susan’s blood I hope she’s gonna make it and tears began to form. You’re a man son. Men don’t cry. I didn’t cry at your Mom’s funeral. Ken heard him at night though but would never tell him or anyone else.

Soon they heard the sirens in the distance getting louder. It was chaos. Men pushing family out of the way. “I gotta faint pulse! Get me some IV solution I’m getting a IV here for it. Hustle now! Or we will loose her! As soon as she is free we are scooping and running notify closest hospital. I see Airlift is now here.”

There was an eerie calmness as the Fireman brought down Susan and placed her body on the stretcher. The flight paramedics placed her on the helicopter and flew away. One Fireman pulled Daniel to the side and told him his daughter will probably loose her arm,as it was shattered, but that’s better than the other alternative. They have rehab and prosthesis now. I won’t say it will be easy for her but I had a feeling like her spirit telling me she will overcome. Sounds silly I know. No don’t leave. She has the same spirit when she is alive and doing things with people. Thank you for telling me this. It will devastate me more then her now that I know that.

The t.v. had been left on and it was showing the aftermath of a 747 going into the ocean. Divers were there by the hundreds searching for any survivors. The Red Cross was nearby if anyone needed a blanket or drinks etc. A mass casualty unit was set up so they could stop the basic bleeding and ship them by one of the twenty ambulances or four Airlift choppers. The divers were discouraged when they were bringing up body parts which were kept in a different area for identification.

“This is Sonja from News 10 with a special News Report a 747 crashed into the ocean, coming from Narita Japan, and headed to Boston Mass. Suddenly something or someone woke Susan up. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the time still no Ben - guess the guys went to celebrate. Again the 747 flying from Narita Japan to Boston Mass crashed into the ocean and their are many divers trying to find survivors. So far only body parts have been found.

Susan fell to her knees and cried “I should have told him before he left that I was pregnant.” She sobbed and sobbed loudly that the lady next door was concerned and knocked on her door. Susan said come in before asking who it was she no longer cared as her heart was shattered into a million pieces and the baby would never know it’s father. Cara came in and helped Susan off the floor and put on some tea. Then Cara put a throw blanket on her. She brought the tea into the living room. There there she said as she patted Susan’s back. Tell me what has you so upset.

My husband was on the 747 that crashed into the ocean. Just look at that they haven’t brought up a whole person just pieces. I will turn the t.v. off so we can relax and talk about happier things. I should have told him before he left that I am pregnant. A baby what a blessing, let me tell you after my Bruce was shot down and killed in the war, I too was pregnant and it was a blessing to have a part of Bruce himself. It was hard at first keeping up with other people’s laundry and caring for a baby. But the joys we had were always far better and I knew Bruce was there with us in spirit.

How did you care for him when you were at work? Oh, I had people bring me there clothes to clean etc. And I would have them pick them up in 2 days. Some days Brucie was a handful. Oh that’s nice you named him after his father. Yes, it was already the name I picked before I was to tell him but he too never knew. Just as well it would have more of a distraction in a war.

The phone rang. Let me get it dear. No I need to answer this because it’s an ending and a new beginning. “Hello”. "This is Sonja from News 10 I would like to speak to you about if you are joining in the lawsuit formed by the other family members?” "How can they be so cruel we just lost loved ones and they treat them as meat not people.” Click.

Thank you Cara but I think I want to go to bed and pray and possibly sleep where he slept. You do that I will pray for you too along for the lost ones. I will also put you on my prayer list group if that is okay. "Okay". Susan locked the door after Cara left, the apartment was empty. Pregnant and my husband is dead. I will work through the shattered pieces of my life. When I lost my arm it was hard work and Ken was there all the way cheering me on. Guess he will have to cheer me on from Heaven now. I wonder if it’s as beautiful as that field of daisy’s.

The phone rang again it was her Mom and Dad they were leaving Sweden early and coming to be with me. "Your Mom can help plan the funeral with Otis they seem to get along somewhat". "Please be careful wear flotation vests I don’t trust airplanes anymore". "Hey sweetie we could try a boat but your Mom gets seasick and it’s a lot of rowing". Susan gave a small chuckle. Her Dad could always make her laugh or smile. "Oh yeah before I go to bed you are going to be Grandparents. Night". Click.

Daniel and Ellen couldn’t talk about anything else but the fact that Susan had sprung on them the fact they were going to be Grandparents. Ellen was already preparing a baby shower. She is one of the best event planners in town. People are on a big list but she will definitely swing a small one in their house. That’s how Susan would want it since tragedy had just befallen Ben.

Susan and I will go shopping for baby furniture, maternity clothes, and you can put together the crib and paint the walls a soft green. Why don’t we let Susan decide the color of the walls it may make it easier on her. Grandpa you will make a fine one. Can you make a cradle I hope we have time but this is a timepiece like you made the ones for ours. I know it is and I will try to find the right wood. Besides, we should discuss this with her too. She may want a Bassinet not a wooden cradle. Oh Posh! What is it dear? Do you think it’s too soon to take her out and buy things. We don’t even know if she needs the maternity clothes yet as one starts wearing them around four months. It would be best Ellen to allow her to ask or tell us when she needs to get things for the baby.

Hi Mom and Dad. How was the sites. She still couldn’t say flight. They were fine. You should go on a cruise with us maybe Barbados? You don’t have to commit. The manager gave me time off for grieving which totals to six days. Wow what a sensitive manager. Ellen. First of all I want to know when the baby is due. I am at four months. Daniel we will need to air our place out and have it cleaned at once so we can be here during Susan’s pregnancy and in the aftermath a little. Ok dear I will make the calls but before I do I want to know how Susan feels about this? Wow Dad is retaliating against Mom now, boy is that a big change. Susan it is up to you whether or not you want to accept our help. Oh, Mom that’s all I’ve ever wanted from you. I never felt right with you it was like to embroidery or something, and I couldn’t get it right. So how about one rule I get final choice on all things not you or I will leave the store and your grand-baby. I agree Susan.

The sun seemed to be glowing upon Susan. Mom had done a simple Ceremony as Otis wanted. Nearly half the town showed up for it. Psalm 23 was read which was Ken’s favorite. White carnations, like Otis wanted, were all over. Otis allowed the Pastor to speak for five minutes then it was over. Otis quietly thanked Ellen for helping with his boy’s funeral. That boy had something special. He worked his way up from the mail room to being the company CEO. I was mighty proud. I best be getting along and I am so sorry for you too Susan. Otis you are going to be a grandpa. Ken left us somebody to love behind. That’s great. Gotta be going, gotta be going. Us too said Dan. But Daddy. Sweetheart take this one from me. After loosing a wife and now a son I think it’s time for Otis to actually have a good cry.

Time flew by as long as she was busy between work and helping with the nursery of which she chose a mint green. She did join in the lawsuit once she found it was faulty engine lights and controls. If they had maintained the airline her son’s father would be going to baseball games and fishing with him. Cara her neighbor and her became close. Cara said she could babysit any day except Wednesday and Sunday.

Susan took a deep breath and let it out and just walked in on the boss, and one of the employees, the secretary grabbed up her clothes to dress. Being a software producer means I don’t do anything really here except presentations on occasion. Well, Mr. Drake I have a proposition for you, He straightens his tie and pats his lap. No, mine is legit. As a Software Producer I can do most of my work from home and Skype on any unbooked meetings. I will still be able to come in on any two days except Wed and Sun. You won’t tell my wife what you saw. Gee-sh, this has nothing to do with that everyone here has known for quite some time and we’ve always kept our manners and your secret when Mrs. Drake comes in the building. So please give me your opinion so I can get my things I will do at home. I want an answer please. I need you on Monday and Friday. Mrs. Littleton and I want an update submitted regularly every Wednesday before our 3 p.m. meeting. The secretary wrote it up and they signed the agreement for a six month trial.

Afterwards, when Susan and her family, had leg of lamb that night for dinner. Susan stood to go to the rest room and gush, her water broke, Ow! Her Mom saw the puddle and noticed she hardly ate anything. How long have you been have contractions? I don’t know my back has been really bothering me. Daniel put the suitcase into the car and helped assist Susan too. And they were off. Did you drive like this when Mom was having us. Mom chuckled and said yes.

Daniel paced the waiting room as he did for his own kids. “Hey dude you’ll be too old to play football with your kid” said a disheveled lanky guy with a goatee and sideburns. For a matter of fact dude I am awaiting the arrival of my first grandson his father died in that 747 in the ocean. “Sorry Dude.”

Masters-Barker the Nurse announced at the door. "Me" was all Ken could say. Well, let’s go see that baby Grandpa. He sure is handsome and a charmer already. He walked into the room and saw the same wavy hair of Susan. The hair coloring was blonde like both Susan and Ken’s. He had these radiant blue eyes that you just couldn’t take your eyes off they were mesmerizing. Yeah, Dad I noticed those eyes too they’re like blue pools of evanescent water. Go ahead and take him. Benny Daniel Masters-Barker meet your Gran-daddy. That’s a name he will have to grow into to. Hmm m Hmm m, Dan turned around and saw Otis they had called him about the baby. He’s a tiny one girl you not feeding him right Otis slapped his leg. He brought some pretty daisy’s a tear rolled down Susan’s cheek. Did I do right. No sir, this just made my day better. What’s his name? Benny Daniel Masters-Barker. Well, you are gonna need some grits to grow into that name how about Grand-pappy Otis calls you just Benny Boy? You get those eyes checked? Yes and they were okay. Well then that’s good. Otis thought, better not tell anyone, that he could be a seer. Since they probably wouldn’t let me near him again.

No comments: