Friday, April 22, 2011

My Recent Brush With Cancer

Two weeks ago my Doctor's Medical Assistant called me. She told me that the Mammogram I had in Dec. showed something and that I needed to see a surgeon for a biopsy. She gave me the Surgeon's name and phone number so I could schedule an appointment. I asked her which breast it was and she said she didn't have that information in front of her. I was a bit annoyed about that since I had worked for 30 years in the Medical Profession, part of it also being in Doctor's offices and Clinics before I moved on to Hospitals and Surgical Centers. We never gave information like she gave me over the phone for one. We always made an appointment for the patient to come in for a follow-up to have the doctor tell the patient. Also, why was it all of a sudden urgent when it has been 3 1/2 months since my Mammogram? Why did I not get a call sooner? Was it forgotten in the two appointments that I had seen my doctor in between on since the Mammogram? It seemed so wrong the way it was handled. And yet she DID NOT even have the RESULTS WITH HER when she called me!! I NEVER called a patient without the results right in front of me in all my 30 years of being in the Medical Field!
I made the appointment and my husband went with me to see the surgeon who was a very intelligent man. I was sent to another hospital for a different type of biopsy, than the more invasive surgical one the surgeon performed, due to the minuscule size. They were so tiny,actually 1/10th the size of buckshot. We had to view them with a magnifying glass. We had to drive to St. George, 45 minutes away, the biopsy was performed with a long needle and four little pieces were retrieved and a tiny titanium tag placed where they were removed. The tag was for future reference for either the surgeon if more surgery is required or future mammograms. Either way it is permanent & will not set off metal detectors at the Airports I'm told.
I waited four days for the results. Yesterday, I received the results that "I do not have Cancer". I am grateful since Breast Cancer took one of my Aunts when she was 54 and I am currently 51.
I am glad I have been having my Mammograms since the age of 40 years old. I had two fatty adipose masses taken out 7 years ago. Back then they were not detected when they were so small. They also watched them over a three year period. The first year the did a needle biopsy by withdrawing fluid only. Year two was no growth or anything. Year three they had tripled in size so they did a ultrasound and decided to remove them. They were benign also. We had expected them to be 99% benign before they were removed though.
Therefore, I am a great advocate about getting your Mammogram every year. It is very important. DO NOT PUT IT OFF. Early Detection is the best way for Early Treatment. The new Mammogram technology is great especially how they could detect such a small tiny tumor as they did on my mammogram this year versus 7 years ago was totally amazing to me. It sure proved to me that if it had gone the other way I would have had very early detection and a very very good chance of Treatment and Recovery.

No comments: