Thursday, April 28, 2011

Green Beans with Rosemary & Garlic (crock pot) Recipe

We at T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) were having our annual "Induction of Officers" potluck. So each of us were bringing a dish. I made some alterations to one I found in a Crock Pot Cookbook since I had just gotten back from Las Vegas 4 days earlier. I had brought back some fresh rosemary from my brother's garden which I wanted to use. This is the recipe I ended up with and the gals loved it.
*note since we have had such a horrible time with fresh vegetables lately I didn't find any good fresh green beans. The original recipe said fresh or canned. I don't ever use canned (due to high sodium/so mushy) so I had substituted frozen, by thawing the beans out in the refrigerator overnight (in there original pkg.) then draining what little water there was by placing them in a colander. The gals said they thought they were "fresh green beans".

64 ounces reg-cut frozen (do NOT use french style cut) Green Beans, thawed overnight (in refrigerator), drained in colander  OR Fresh Green Beans

2 tsp. Beef Bouillon Granules

1 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary

2 Tbsp. minced Garlic

1/4 cup Water

Fat-free Cooking Spray


1. Spray slow cooker/crock pot with fat-free cooking spray.
2. Add all ingredients and mix well.
3. Cook on high 3-4 hours.

Notes:
If you like, add 2 Tbsp. minced onions to step 2.

Per Serving: 46 calories; trace total fat; 7 total carbohydrates; 1g protein.
serves 8

Notes:
Check the label on the frozen green beans for an accurate Calorie Count. The green beans I got were Smith's Brand (Kroger Value) and were 30 calories. Some of the other brands I found - C&W=30 calories, Birdseye=35, and ones just listed as frozen=27. Therse are for 1/2 cup to 1 cup servings. So check labels for both serving size and calorie count. Especially if you are watching your weight like me.

No comments: